Mahatao is a municipality in the province of Batanes. It is located in the island of Batan.
Places of Interest
The following are places of interest, tourist attractions and/or notable landmarks in Mahatao.
- Homoron Blue Lagoon – used to be called the “Spanish Lagoon” as the Spaniards during the colonial times reserved it for their exclusive use. Nearby is the white beach which is a shallower spot with more gentle waves.
- Diura Fishing Village – one is offered the chance to observe the kapay-vanuvanu traditional ritual performed by the fishermen during the months of March and April. This is to increase their harvest during the fishing season.
- Diatay Beach – very accessible as it is just along the highway. It has white sand and colorful rocks.
- Chawa Point and Chawa Cave – Chawa point is the vantage point for watching and taking the best shots as the massive and powerful waves hit the jagged shoreline. Nearby is the Chawa Cave known for its salt beds and its mouth facing the South China Sea.
- Tayid Lighthouse – It was built in the early 2000s. The older one which was built in the 1700s is not being used anymore and is located close to the San Carlos Borromeo Church.
- Racuh-a-Payaman (Marlboro Country) – a vast pasture land for cows, carabaos, and horses. It is described as the part of the province most photographed because of tits beauty.
- San Carlos Borromeo Parish Church – its walls built with limestone and roof covered with cogon, typical of Ivatan buildings. Because of its beauty and being well-preserved, it was listed as a cultural icon bu=y the National Museum for Culture and Arts.
Map of Mahatao
* For more information about Mahatao, check its PhilAtlas profile.
Share this page