Basco is a municipality and the capital of the province of Batanes. It is located in the island of Batan.
Places of Interest
The following are places of interest, tourist attractions and/or notable landmarks in Basco.
- Vayang Rolling Hills – the grass-covered rolling hills against the backdrop of the sky and the West Philippine Sea never fails to impress and inspire anyone beholding the view. The top of the hill offers a distant study of the other islands of Batanes archipelago.
- Maydangeb Beach – unlike most of the coastlines in the province’s islands which are elevated, marked by jagged cliffs and rocks, this beach is covered with white sand.
- Valugan Boulder Beach – here you can have a unique beach experience as the coast is covered with round boulders and stones, said to have been ejected by Mount Iraya in ancient times and smoothed over time by the Pacific Ocean’s waves.
- Mount Iraya – an inactive volcano and the highest peak in Batanes with an elevation of 1,17 meters.
- Dipnaysupuan Japanese Tunnel – located in the Tugon hills. It served as a shelter for the Japanese soldiers during World War II. It features a bunker which was used as a lookout and water reservoir.
- PAGASA Weather Station – from this elevated site one can have a 360-degree view of the island of Batan.
- Mount Carmel Chapel or Tukon Chapel – built on top of a hill, its walls are made up of stones just like the traditional Ivatan design of buildings.
- Basco Lighthouse – stands in top of the Naidi Hills. It offers the best view of the capital town with Mount Iraya in the background.
- Santo Domingo de Guzman Cathedral – the oldest church in Batanes.
Map of Basco
* For more information about Basco, check its PhilAtlas profile.
Share this page