Mariveles is a municipality in the province of Bataan.
Places of Interest
The following are places of interest, tourist attractions and/or notable landmarks in Mariveles.
- Clear view of and accessibility to Corregidor Island – this municipality located at the southernmost tip of the Bataan peninsula offers a vantage point of Corregidor island at the mouth of Manila Bay. This historical island was the site of the final heroic battle between the invading Japanese forces and the defending joint forces of Filipino and American troops during World War II. From Mariveles, this rocky historic island can be reached via a boat ride that takes only 20 minutes.
- Zero Kilometer Marker – marks the other starting point of the World War II Death March besides Bagac, another municipality in Bataan. There were about 76,000 soldiers in all, 66,000 of whom were Filipinos and the rest, some 10,000, were Americans. A total of 10,000 prisoners of war, more or less, died along the way as they were already in a much weakened condition at the outset of the Death March. They were wounded, hungry, thirsty, and exhausted from the battle.
- Bataan Export Processing Zone (BEPZ)/Bataan Economic Zone (BEZ) – established in 1969, it was the first official economic zone in the country. In 2009, the Bataan Economic Zone was converted into the Freeport Area of Bataan (FAB). It now attracts multinational investors/businessmen, as well as local job-seekers in such industries as ship-building and repair, manufacturing, electronics/semiconductors, logistics,Business Process Outsourcing (BPO), energy, and tourism.
- Balon Anito – commonly known as a dead volcano, visitors sit on the volcano’s mouth and soak their feet in the hot water. It is believed that doing so will enhance their health.
- San Miguel Rock – a natural landmark consisting of a 110-meter rock along Sisiman Bay. Nearby is a lighthouse and beach area.
- Tarlac Ridge – located in Mount Mariveles, it is highly recommended not only for mountaineers and trekkers but also for campers and nature-trippers.
- Beach resorts along the shores of this coastal town, especially Five Fingers Cove
- Airsoft/Paintball WarSite – available in this town, at Sitio 31, Barangay Biaan.
- Saint Nicholas de Tolentino Church – established in 1729
Map of Mariveles
* For more information about Mariveles, check its PhilAtlas profile.