Calanasan is a municipality in the province of Apayao.
Places of Interest
The following are places of interest, tourist attractions and/or notable landmarks in Calanasan.
- Agamata National Park and Wildlife Sanctuary – located near at the boundary of Apayao and Ilocos Norte; an excellent destination for campers and hikers
- Apayao River – located at Barangay Poblacion
- Bantay Malingudu – located at Barangay Poblacion
- Blue Haven
- Carmella Falls – located at Barangay Eva
- Danao Lake – located at Sitio Danao in Barangay Poblacion
- Eagles Kingdom and Sanctuary – located at Barangay Eva; a home to the Philippine Eagle, the famous Rafflesia flower, the Northern Luzon cloud rat, and gigantic Lawaan trees, the sanctuary is an unspoiled, protected area (NOTE: although its presence is worth-mentioning, the sign at the entrance informs hopeful visitors that traveling inside is banned; hence, tourists may opt to do birdwatching at the town’s designated spots)
- Girgirra Falls – located at Barangay Ninoy Aquino; its water cascades down from Mount Magitalan
- Maxibab Falls – located at Barangay Santa Filomena
- Pisong Lake
- Purit Cave – home to countless of bats and is locally named “Bat Cave”; filled with guano deposits
- Mount Kilang
- Ziwanan River – located at Barangay Cadaclan
- Calanasan Town Fiesta – the whole month of March; includes the Search For Miss Dama-ag Naya Calanasan; a showcase of the different products of the town
How To Get There
NOTE: For your own safety and in deference to the natives who live in this sparsely explored town, it is important to coordinate with the Local Government Unit and Information Officer of Calanasan before you attempt to visit the area.